(Rules of The Gauntlet: The artist is sent 75 questions from which they must choose at least 12 to answer in whatever medium they choose: written, audio,or video. The questions range from standard to ridiculous.)
The punk/reggae radness known as Ballyhoo! from Aberdeen, MD write the songs you want to hear whether you’re at the beach or on a massive road trip. Ballyhoo!’s live shows are high energy parties and they are one of the nicest bands you’ll meet. Before you dig into Howi Spangler’s (vocals/guitar) interview hit play on the video on the bottom of this to have a soundtrack to your readage.
1. What are you working on right now?
Finishing our 5th studio album to be released this summer. We’re stoked get a new album out this year.
2. How often do you guys practice and why?
HA! We never rehearse. It’s fucking sad. But we tour all year long so it keeps us tight. As for new songs. We usually work them out at sound check and in the studio.
3.What’s the bands philosophy? Motto?
On Tour Forever” or Yes, I will do another shot of Jameson with you.”
4. Do you have names for your musical instruments? If so what are they?
My new Gisbon Les Paul Junior is TV Yellow in color, so I called it Colonel Mustard”.
5.What exactly is Going apeshit?”
It’s when the crowd at the show gets over-excited about a song, particularly one of the “˜classics’ from our older albums.
6. Peace or freedom? (You can’t have both.)Why?
Freedom is cool. Peace will never happen because there a lot of stupid people out there.
7. What was the last song you listened to before this interview?
Actually watching Red Hot Chili Peppers on Palladia right now, so Heeeyyyyy nowwwwwww”…
8. Why should people go to your shows?
Because they’re fun as fuck! And the bass player might have sex with you if you’re lucky…and a girl.
9. If you were facing unbeatable and fatal odds what song would you want to check
Jesus of Suburbia”.. that would give 9 minutes for figure some shit out.
10. Describe your playing style.
I plunder my guitar every night. Heavy down strokes on the rock stuff and thick upstrokes on the reggae.
11. What bands should quit forever and never be seen or heard from again?
Hot Chelle Rae because it’s so fake and terrible. Their live show is 20% band, 60% track and 100% suck…yes, the math is wrong there.
12. What would you like to say to your fans?
Thank you so much for being there. We are nothing without you. You left your earrings on the nightstand too, so you should probably come get those.
13. There’s a good chance you will look back and be embarrassed by your current hairstyle. Discuss.
I try to be stylish but not too in”. That’s what makes you look ridiculous in old pics. Trying to be too creative in the fashion department. Don’t get caught up in every fad you’ll be alright.
14. If you could accomplish one thing in a music career what would it be? When you
achieve that will you quit?
I want to play on SNL. And hell no!
15. What master musicians would you like to study with?
I hated school.
16. What is the loneliest number?
Infinity. “˜Cause no one ever gets there.
17. Worst thing ever eaten on the road?
Ugh. A crab cake from some shit town in North Carolina. I threw up later that night. I’m from Maryland and I knew that shouldn’t eat a crab cake anywhere else, but I didn’t listen to myself. It ended badly.
18. What do you geek out to besides music? Please geek out on your geekiness.
I love Hidden Object Games. Mystery Case Files is the best! I’ll sit for hours in the van looking for an artichoke or a cat in a mess of…things. I love the spooky imagery and ambient music and sounds. I also love setting up iPhones and Macbooks for people.
19. What are some of the unwritten rules of touring?
Expect NOT to get paid. Expect NO ONE to be there.
20. How many unarmed but very angry 4 year olds would it take to kick your ass?
Probably 11. Once they go for the knees, you go down hard and they’ve won.
21. What are your detailed thoughts on yodeling?
I first heard a yodel on The Price is Right. Then the dude fell of the cliff.
22. Wheelie or endo?
I did an endo once….once.
23. Name one person cooler than Evel Kneivel.